3 Days Desert Tour From Marrakech To Merzouga Dunes
Experience the authentic charm of Morocco's Sahara desert on this unforgettable 3-day Marrakech to Merzouga tour. Immerse yourself in the fascinating culture of nomads and Berbers, and discover why this itinerary is one of the most sought-after by travelers.
This tour offers breathtaking scenery and a chance to experience the true essence of Morocco's culture and landscape.
Day 1 of this tour is packed with breathtaking landscapes and historical wonders. Begin by driving through the stunning Atlas, taking in the views from strategic lookout points before arriving at the Tizi N'Tichka pass, where you can marvel at the views of the High Atlas Mountains.
Next, you'll visit the impressive Kasbah Telouet before exploring the Ounila valley, dotted with traditional Berber villages.
Our tour continues to the UNESCO World Heritage site of Kasbah Ait Benhaddou, an ancient clay fortress and the backdrop of many famous films, before passing by Ouarzazate to explore the Taourirt Kasbah and continue forward to the "Kelaa des Mgouna" Passing by the Skoura valley.
Finally, we'll end our day in "Boumalne Dades" with a leisurely Moroccan dinner and spend our night.
Day 2 starts with a visit to Tinghir city, surrounded by beautiful mountains and known for its picturesque gorge, before we continue south to the desert.
Once in Merzouga, you'll embark on a unique adventure, a camel ride across the sea of dunes of Erg Chebbi. As the sun sets, you'll reach the top of the highest dune to catch a glimpse of the breathtaking sunset. After that, you'll enjoy a delicious dinner prepared by local people and retire for the night in a peaceful tent under the starry sky.
On the final day of your tour, you'll wake up early to witness the spectacular sunrise against the sand dunes. After a filling breakfast, we'll travel back to Marrakech, passing through the Draa Valley and the Saghro mountains, with a stop for lunch in N'Qob. Observe camels leisurely wandering along the Draa River and admire the striking High Atlas Mountains before descending back to Marrakech, where our journey ends and memories are made.
This 3-day tour is a perfect blend of adventure, culture, and scenery. Don't miss the chance to connect two distant destinations and create memories that will last a lifetime.
Embark on a journey that will leave you with unforgettable rememberings and an understanding of the rich culture and history of the Real desert of Morocco.
Number of Persons:
Price per Person:
Day 1: Marrakech to Boumalne Dades Valley through Atlas Mountains, Kasbah Ait Ben Haddou, and Ouarzazate.
Departing from Marrakech at 8:00 am, we start our adventure with a drive over the spectacular Tizi N'Tichka pass ( the highest point of road access in this area, standing at 2,260 meters. ) – while you enjoy breathtaking panoramic views of small Berber villages and lush landscapes along the way.
Next, we take it onto a side road left to explore Telouet Kasbah, once home to the Lords of the Atlas (The Glaoui family) before being abandoned and plundered by Pasha Thami el Glaoui when French forces invaded in 1956. Take a glimpse into their traditional interior decoration and vast halls that are now crumbling even further amid wind and rain over time.
We then leave behind Telouet and pass through the spectacular Ounila Valley with its many Berber villages surrounded by palm groves and gardens with large sun-dried mud buildings (Kasbahs). Then navigate further south until we reach Aït Ben Haddou – a 16th-century fortress listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1986.
Chances are you'll recognize it from its use in many famous films such as Gladiator, Obelix, and The Mummy.
You'll have free time there to explore as you experience an authentic glimpse into traditional Moroccan culture.
For lunch, traditional dishes will be served in one of the best Ait Ben Haddou restaurants before resuming our journey toward Ouarzazate.
Take some time to admire Taourirt Kasbah (another former residence of Glaoui Pasha) before setting off for Skoura palm grove located between the River Drâa and Oued M' Goun – home to thousands of magnificent palm trees! Get ready – it's time to explore some historic kasbahs in different valleys around this area.
Enjoy incredible views before moving on to El Kelaa des Mgouna – an oasis town well-known for its production of damascene roses, which are used in perfume making, food flavoring, and cosmetic use (especially rose water).
The town also hosts a yearly Rose Festival every May, which is not only essential for local economic activities but also a feast for cultural activities across Morocco.
We finish our day heading toward Boumalne Dades, where we will have our dinner and spend the night settling down after such a wonderful day in a local guest house while looking forward to what tomorrow may bring us!
Day 2: Dades Valley to Merzouga passing by Dades Gorges, Tnghir and Todra Gorges.
Day 2 of our remarkable Marrakech to Merzouga tour is undoubtedly the highlight of our journey.
After having a hearty breakfast in Dades Valley, we will set off from our hotel and take a strategic lookout over some of the most spectacular mountains and kasbahs that Morocco offers.
Start our journey with a drive through Dades Valley and past strategic lookout points that offer extensive views of the valley. Marvel at towering mountains, impressive kasbahs, breathtakingly scenic characteristics, and enjoy perfect road conditions as we make our way to Tinghir.
Tinghir is a small city surrounded by beautiful mountains with a picturesque gorge that captures everyone's attention. We can then appreciate the adobe villages, local people, and rock sides that become very uneven in their surfaces before continuing to one of the rock climbers' paradises – Todra Gorges.
This place is nothing less than spectacular with its narrow gorges that soar high above visitors' heads, creating even more impressive views against Morocco's bright blue sky.
The scenery here will leave you speechless as these spectacular walls of red sand take your breath away, literally and figuratively!
Here, local people offer adventure activities like mountain climbing and trekking.
The Todra Gorges is also known as an ideal destination for daring rock climbers willing to take on extreme challenges.
Before heading to our destination, we will enjoy a leisurely lunch in one of the restaurants next to the stream.
The stunning landscapes continue after leaving the Todra Gorges as our next stop - Touroug- never fails to captivate visitors with its unique old mud houses where local nomads used to live their day-to-day life before civilization.
The excitement for the day reaches its peak when we finally arrive at Merzouga and have the opportunity to experience a desert camel ride across the deep sea of dunes of Erg Chebbi.
Your adventure continues as soon as you get on your camel for an hour-long tour amid golden dunes wading towards our Merzouga nomad camp located in a sea of dunes known as Erg Chebbi. Enjoy its sunset from the top of the highest dune and indulge in delicious tagines prepared for you by local people over fire camp. Afterward, you can retire in your tent for a peaceful night under the beautiful starry sky.
Day 3: Merzouga to Marrakech passing by Draa Valley Nqob Ouarzazate
The final day of your Merzouga Desert Tour From Marrakech will begin very early in the morning. So if you're an early riser, you should set your alarm to get up for a spectacular view that should not be missed.
By getting up before sunrise, you'll be able to truly appreciate and witness the brilliant sunrise against the towering sand dunes cast in perfect shadows over the Saharian landscape. Following that incredible start of your day, you'll return to camp for a delicious breakfast before beginning your last trip heading back to Marrakech.
This last leg of the journey will take you through the Draa Valley, known not only for its beautiful views and landscapes but also for the Draa River, one of Morocco's longest rivers.
Visiting this valley gives travelers a fantastic chance to understand traditional Berber life better as they pass through these small villages with scattered palm trees between them.
From there, you'll head south through the Draa Valley and onwards to the Saghro mountains, passing by the town of Tazarine before landing in N'Qob, where you can enjoy lunch at one of the local cafes.
Stretch your legs and take some free time before getting back on track towards Tansikht to observe how camels leisurely wander along the Draa River, lined by lush palm trees amid old kasbahs along an ancient caravan route heading further north towards Agdez.
Then it's time for a relished climb up back onto Tizi-n'Tinfifte pass, allowing us magnificent views spanning far away into Ouarzazate city to admire the striking High Atlas Mountains again before descending toward Marrakech city, where our journey ends while we drop you off at your riad or accommodation with sweet memories filled stories to share about your trip connecting two distant destinations aboard one fantastic journey!
- Start the tour with a free hotel/riad pickup.
- Experience breathtaking views while driving over Tizi N'Tichka pass in the heart of Berber villages and landscapes.
- Explore the historic Telouet Kasbah, once home to the Lords of the Atlas.
- Discover Berber villages surrounded by palm groves in the scenic Ounila Valley.
- Visit the 16th-century Aït Ben Haddou fortress, listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and immerse in traditional Moroccan culture.
- Indulge in a delicious lunch with traditional dishes in one of the best Ait Ben Haddou restaurants.
- Marvel at Taourirt Kasbah and the thousands of palm trees in the Skoura palm grove.
- Visit El Kelaa des Mgouna, known for its production of damascene roses and Rose Festival.
- End the day in Boumalne Dades and enjoy a comfortable overnight stay in a local guest house.
- Drive through Dades Valley with breathtaking scenery to Tinghir.
- Admire the adobe villages, scenic gorge, and breathtaking views of Todra Gorges.
- Enjoy local adventure activities and a leisurely lunch by the stream.
- Explore the unique old mud houses in Touroug and experience a desert camel ride in Merzouga.
- Relax and enjoy the sunset from the top of the highest dune in the Erg Chebbi dunes.
- Indulge in delicious tagines and spend the night under the beautiful starry sky in a nomad camp.
- Rise early to witness a brilliant sunrise over towering sand dunes.
- Enjoy a delicious breakfast before setting off on your trip back to Marrakech.
- Travel through the stunning Draa Valley and Saghro mountains, with stops at small Berber villages and local cafes.
- Enjoy beautiful landscape along the Draa River and old kasbahs.
- Admire the High Atlas Mountains from Tizi-n'Tinfifte pass.
- Return to Marrakech with sweet memories filled with stories to share about your fantastic journey!
- Free hotel pick-up and drop-off (or a convenient meeting point).
- Professional and experienced English or French speaking driver.
- Luxurious, Fully-equipped vehicles.
- Accommodation in air-conditioned rooms.
- One-hour camel ride in Erg Echebbi with a local Berber nomad guide.
- The night in the comfortable camp in Merzouga dunes.
- Berber animation with drums and local music.
- Two breakfasts + two dinners.
- Vegetarian and vegan options are available upon request; please let us know at the time of booking.
- Free time to explore the sites and Kasbahs.
- Free time for photo stops, walks, and coffee breaks.
- Entrance fees and local guides are included.
- Transportation insurance.
- Personal Expenses
- Anything Else not mentioned
Please keep in mind that this tour itinerary is just a suggestion. If it doesn't fit your needs, feel free to reach out to us. We can create a personalized itinerary for you based on your preferences and the length of your stay.
We offer customized tours and trips throughout Morocco. The price of the tour will depend on the number of people participating. Because the cost of transportation is fixed, the price will be divided among the participants. Contact us for an accurate quote.